Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Crisp Cucumber Salad

I was examining cucumbers in the produce isle when OC -- the man who, when we were courting, told me he would eat anything -- mentions casually that he doesn't particularly care for cucumbers. I'm not going to tell you how many times I've head the, "I don't particularly care for ..." phrase in the last couple of months, but I can tell you that I'd heard it enough by the time he applied it to the cucumber that my mental response was, "Tough!"

I put the cucumber in our shopping cart and told him, "I am going to make a cucumber salad. If you don't like it, you don't have to eat it." Well, I made the salad and guess what?

Yep.

He likes it.

Crisp Cucumber Salad

1 medium cucumber
1 small sweet onion*
1/4 cup sour cream
vinegar
water
pepper

Scrub the cucumber and score the peel by scraping down the sides of the cucumber with fork tines. Cut the cucumber into thin slices. Cut the sweet onion into thin slices. Mix the cucumber and onion slices together in a bowl. Cover the mixed slices with a 50-50 solution of vinegar and water. Marinate overnight (or all day). Just before serving drain the slices. (Do not pat or shake them dry, allow them to retain some moisture.) Spoon the sour cream over the slices, add pepper to taste, and stir. Arrange on plates and garnish with sour cream, fresh carrot sticks and the greenery of your choice. Serve chilled.

This salad does not keep well and is best eaten fresh. (It continues to pickle and gets stronger.) Try to eat within 24 hours.

*The photo does not show whole onion slices because I only had half of a large onion on hand. It tasted the same, but didn't look as pretty.

2 Comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds good, I'll have to give it a try. It sounds like one of those things I can't really mess up, I hope.

Anonymous said...

Easy and yummy.

Google
 

© Blogger Templates