Friday, October 5, 2007

Fancy Tuna (or Chicken) Salad

This actually doesn't look as good as it tasted. I would have tried for a better picture, but my loving partner was impatient to eat. He snapped this for me then hustled his plate to the dinner table. However, if you think about it, that's quite an endorsement for the salad. (Note to self: Don't mention that OC hadn't eaten in almost 10 hours.)

This recipe evolved -- as many of my recipes do -- out of a lack of necessary ingredients for the salad I wanted to make. No mayo? Crap! [snatch open fridge] Oh, look! Sour cream! It's the right color. I wonder what will happen if ....

Salad:

  • 1 pound bag of fancy pasta, boiled and rinsed
  • 1 12-oz. can of albacore tuna (canned chicken works well, too!)
  • 1/2 med. sweet onion, diced
  • 1/4 cup diced or grated carrot
  • 1/4 cup pickle relish (I prefer dill)
  • 1/2 fresh or *frozen peas

Dressing:
  • 1/2 cup mayo (or Miracle Whip or Sour Cream)
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 1 2-0z jar of diced pimento with juice
  • 1/4 c. dill pickle juice (if you use sweet pickles add a little more white wine)
  • 2 tbs. spicy brown mustard
  • 1 tsp. celery seed (or 1/4 cup fresh, thinly-sliced celery)
  • 1 tbs. dried parsley
  • salt & pepper to taste

Toss the fresh ingredients in a bowl. Mix the dressing and pour it over the top. Stir and chill.

**Serve on a bed of lettuce. Garnish with paprika and deviled eggs. Fresh rolls on the side would be nice.

Makes 4 generous (full meal) servings.


tips:
*I defrost the peas by putting them in the colander and draining the pasta over them.

**This salad tastes best the day after you make it. I like to put it together the afternoon before the day I serve it. (I like to, but I seldom get to.)

5 Comments:

rendall tilden said...

half mayo
half sour cream
would be reallly
good

Pacific Quilly said...

Rendall -- actually, I've done that, too, but not this time.

Melli said...

hehehe... I bet I missed a link... I have found mayo and sour cream to be totally interchangeable in MANY things over the years! (NOT SO with Miracle Whip... nor Cool Whip...)

Anonymous said...

Melli -- OC does Miracle Whip and doesn't care for mayo. I prefer mayo and am extremely not fond of Miracle Whip. We may suddenly be using a lot more sour cream.

tsduff said...

Miracle Whip - bleah. Best Foods or Hellmans rules! This here receipe looks fabulous... yum!!!

Google
 

© Blogger Templates